Saturday, September 11, 2010

Buy This, Not That...



I have long-held had a love of thrift stores, I love the thought that I can buy something and by just wearing it, as is, I am re-purposing it. I do love buying from the thrift store with that intent, but I also love buying from the thrift store with the purpose of changing, altering, adding on- and thus renewing its original purpose. There are a lot of great "re" words, come to think of it (redeem, reclaim, reuse, re-purpose, redefine).








The pin...

Well as some of you may know, I have a love of Moosejaw. Usually when I describe Moosejaw, I explain that it is like REI's cooler younger brother, and it is based out of the Midwest, who can argue that?...Don't, it's not a good idea if you know who you are dealing with. Go here if you want to know what in the world moosejaw is... http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/home___




Anyways...There was a particular moosejaw sweatshirt that struck my fancy, and I developed a habit of playfully putting it in my virtual shopping cart everytime I went to the site. I loved this sweatshirt because it looked well worn and cozy. The distinguishing feature that made it stand out to me was that the neck was cut off, so it was like a Flashdance off-the-shoulder sort of thing. I never bought it because it was $42 and I have issues buying things that I know I can make, thus my belief on "creation before consumption"- If you can make it, do that.


Well today at the thrift I found a lovely sweater that had the potential to be a "lauren-cozy-flashdance-sweater". And so for $2.99 bones I bought it. Got my scissors and went to town...I also ended up making a sweet necklace out of the remnants, finished two purses, and made a pin...












Lauren's Flashdance Sweater<














The Necklace >>










The Moustache<<<

No comments:

Post a Comment